Skip to main content
Advertisement
Advertisement

World

US eyes Iranian assets for Gulf allies' reconstruction, source says

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has directed a team to assess costs for damages already inflicted on Gulf allies by Iran, the source said.

US eyes Iranian assets for Gulf allies' reconstruction, source says

An Iranian man walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, Jun 6, 2026. (Photo: Majid Asgaripour/WANA via REUTERS)

07 Jun 2026 11:37AM (Updated: 07 Jun 2026 06:17PM)
Read a summary of this article on FAST.
FAST

WASHINGTON: The US will attempt to redirect Iranian assets to Gulf states for rebuilding and repairs of damage caused by Iran, a source familiar with the matter said, as Tehran followed up a wave of strikes against Kuwait and Bahrain with further drone launches.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has directed a team to assess costs for damages already inflicted on Gulf allies by Iran, the source said on Saturday (Jun 6), adding that the US will consider using Iranian assets for repairs of any future destruction as well.

The disclosure came a day after Mohsen Rezaei, an adviser to Iran's supreme leader, told CNN that a peace deal to end the three-month war hinged on the release of US$24 billion in Iranian assets frozen by the United States.

NEGOTIATIONS APPEAR STALLED

The source did not specify what kind of assets the Treasury was examining. The language used to describe the new measures did not appear limited to frozen assets.

The threatened redirection of Iranian assets could create a new irritant to a fragile ceasefire between the United States and Iran, which was tested again this weekend with strikes by the US and Iran.

Peace negotiations appear to have stalled, although a minister from mediator Pakistan travelled to Tehran on Saturday with a letter for Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, Iran's semi-official ISNA news agency reported.

US forces struck Iranian coastal radar sites in Goruk and Qeshm Island, both in the Strait of Hormuz, early Saturday after shooting down drones launched by Iran that US Central Command says posed a threat to maritime traffic. Two more Iranian attack drones that were threatening shipping in the strait were also shot down, the US military said late on Saturday.

Iran's Revolutionary Guard said it retaliated against US bases in Kuwait and Bahrain, and Kuwait's army said on Saturday it engaged seven ballistic missiles that passed over residential areas, resulting in material damage but no casualties.

In Bahrain, sirens sounded and residents were urged to seek shelter. Kuwait and Bahrain condemned the strikes.

Iran later said it had hit US bases in both countries with ballistic missiles, but the US military said six missiles were intercepted and a seventh did not reach its target.

OPEC+ EYES ANOTHER OUTPUT HIKE, BUT WAR THWARTS SHIPMENTS

The US and Iran have been engaged in largely indirect negotiations for an interim deal to halt the three-month-old war that would leave issues, including Iran's nuclear programme, to further negotiations.

But a deal has remained elusive while the two sides have periodically skirmished.

Tehran wants access to billions of dollars in oil revenue, waivers on sanctions on crude exports, the lifting of a US blockade on its ports and leverage over the Strait of Hormuz. Iran has effectively blocked the waterway, where about a fifth of global oil traffic transited before the war.

President Donald Trump is facing mounting domestic political pressure due to rising gas prices to bring the unpopular war to an end. He told NBC that while most of Iran's drone and missile manufacturing facilities had been destroyed, the Iranians still had access to about a fifth of their missiles.

"They have some missiles, they have some drones. I would say percentage wise, maybe 21 per cent to 22 per cent of their missiles. It's a lot of missiles, but it's not what it was when we first attacked," Trump told NBC News' Meet the Press programme, according to excerpts released by the network on Friday. 

The conflict has driven up oil prices and fueled inflation around the globe. 

OPEC+ is set to agree on Sunday to a fourth increase in oil output targets in as many months, three sources in the oil-producing group said, even though the war is still preventing several of the group's members from pumping more. 

Israel's military said on Sunday it had intercepted two projectiles that crossed into Israeli territory from Lebanon. The attempted attack came a day after Lebanon said two army officers and a soldier were killed in an Israeli strike on a military vehicle in south Lebanon.

Source: Reuters/ac/zl

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Subscribe here
Inbox
FAST
Advertisement

World

Pope Leo tells 1.2 million crowd in Madrid that God stands with the poor

Around 1.2 million people lined Madrid's main thoroughfare Paseo de la Castellana toward Cibeles Square as Pope Leo presided over an open-air Mass that was expected to be the largest event during his week-long visit to Spain.

Pope Leo tells 1.2 million crowd in Madrid that God stands with the poor

Pope Leo XIV arrives to celebrate Holy Mass at Plaza de Cibeles, during his apostolic journey in Madrid, Spain, on Jun 7, 2026. (Photo: Reuters/Violeta Santos Moura)

07 Jun 2026 04:50PM (Updated: 07 Jun 2026 05:40PM)
Read a summary of this article on FAST.
FAST

MADRID: Over a million people filled the streets of Madrid and one of its main squares on Sunday (Jun 7) to join Pope Leo for an outdoor Mass, likely to be the largest event of his week-long visit to Spain, where the pope said God stands with society's poor and forsaken.

Throngs of people pressed along barriers near the landmark Cibeles Square, waving flags and shouting "Long live the pope", as Pope Leo arrived in his white popemobile for the event. Some tossed flower petals as he arrived in the square.

About 1.2 million people were in the square and its surrounding streets, the Vatican and local organisers said.

Pope Leo urged the crowds to live their Catholic faith by helping others in his sermon for the Mass. He said that God "identifies with the poor, the downtrodden, those who are alone and forsaken".

CNA Games
Show More
Show Less

The pope also expressed hope earlier that Madrid would "remain a welcoming and inclusive city, where social life is inspired by genuine human values" in a message in a guestbook as he was handed the key to the city by its mayor.

Pope Leo began his trip on Saturday with meetings with migrants and the homeless and a vigil with about 600,000 young people in Madrid. His Jun 6 to Jun 12 visit also includes stops in Barcelona and the Canary Islands, where he will meet migrants who have risked their lives crossing there from West Africa.

He said he hoped the visit, his first to an EU country outside Italy, would set an example to the world about respecting "every human being" and urged leaders to stop dividing electorates.

"I am delighted that he is praying for us migrants and for our safety," said Andrea Margarita, a 72-year-old Peruvian who arrived in Spain six months ago, as she waited in the crowd in a wheelchair with her daughter.

After Mass, Pope Leo was scheduled to hold a private meeting with fellow members of his Augustinian religious order in the afternoon before meeting figures from the world of entertainment, sport and culture at a concert venue in central Madrid.

Source: Reuters/rk

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Subscribe here
Inbox
FAST
Advertisement

World

Hegseth, at D-Day event, says Europe faces 'invasion' of dangerous ideologies

US officials, including Trump and Vice President JD Vance as recently as Friday have often criticised European countries for failing to control immigration.

Hegseth, at D-Day event, says Europe faces 'invasion' of dangerous ideologies

US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth lays a wreath of flowers during a ceremony at the US cemetery to commemorate the 82nd anniversary of the D-Day landings, in Colleville-sur-Mer, Normandy, France, Jun 6, 2026. (Photo: AP/Jeremias Gonzalez)

07 Jun 2026 05:00AM
Read a summary of this article on FAST.
FAST

PARIS: US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth warned on Saturday (Jun 6) that Europe faced what he called an invasion of dangerous ideologies arriving by sea, linking immigration to the legacy of the D-Day landings in remarks in Normandy.

His remarks echo criticisms often made by the administration of President Donald Trump about Europe, a region Washington argues is hampered by weak defences, inability to tackle immigration, needless red tape and "censorship" of far-right and nationalist voices to keep them from power.

"Sadly, today, different European beaches are stormed by different, dangerous ideologies. Beaches in Spain, Italy, Greece and Bulgaria, boats and men arrive," Hegseth said in a speech at the Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer.

"When will European capitals do something about that invasion or is it too late? I pray not, and I believe not," he said.

CNA Games
Show More
Show Less

Hegseth was speaking during commemorations for the 82nd anniversary of the Allied landings in Normandy, when US and Allied forces crossed the English Channel to launch the liberation of Western Europe from Nazi occupation.

US officials, including Trump and Vice President JD Vance as recently as Friday have often criticised European countries for failing to control immigration.

A US National Security Strategy document issued last year warned Europe faced "civilisational erasure" and must course-correct if it is to remain a reliable US ally.

That document, and other comments by senior Trump officials, have upended postwar assumptions about Europe's close relationship with its strongest ally, and concentrated minds across European capitals on the urgent need to diversify away from reliance on US technology and defence.

Source: Reuters/fs

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Subscribe here
Inbox
FAST
Advertisement

World

Pope urges leaders to stop dividing as he meets migrants, homeless in Spain

Technology was partly to blame for creating an environment which magnifies prejudices and weakens critical thinking, Leo said.

Pope urges leaders to stop dividing as he meets migrants, homeless in Spain

Spain’s King Felipe and Queen Letizia talk to Pope Leo XIV, alongside Leonor, Princess of Asturias, and Infanta Sofia, in Madrid, Spain, Jun 6, 2026. (Photo: Pool via REUTERS/EFE/Ballesteros)

07 Jun 2026 03:08AM (Updated: 07 Jun 2026 05:33AM)
Read a summary of this article on FAST.
FAST

MADRID: Pope Leo on Saturday (Jun 6) urged global leaders to stop dividing their electorates with "sterile simplifications," calling on them to listen to the world's cries for peace as he met migrants and some 600,000 young people at the start of a week-long tour of Spain.

Leo, who has angered US President Donald Trump by criticising his anti-immigration policies and the Iran war, visited a Church-run shelter for the homeless in Madrid and will meet migrants in the Canary Islands during the five-stop visit.

He said before touching down in Spain he hoped the tour would set an example to the world about respecting "every human being."

"Today, the temptation to gain popularity by fanning the flames of polarisation seems to have grown rather than diminished, and human dignity continues to be violated," Leo said in a speech before King Felipe VI at the Royal Palace in Madrid.

CNA Games
Show More
Show Less

"I invite everyone to set aside the divisive and polarising narratives of your societal reality and history, so as to overcome sterile simplifications through the fruitful appreciation of complexity," he added.

Technology was partly to blame for creating an environment which magnifies prejudices and weakens critical thinking, Leo said.

He drew on Spain's history as an example of peaceful co-habitation between religions and cultures, making reference to how Christians, Muslims and Jews cooperated during medieval times to enhance human knowledge by translating Arabic texts into Latin, Spanish and Hebrew at the School of Translators in Toledo.

"Your own history suggests that a culture of encounter, not confrontation, is what fosters stability and prosperity," he said.

HUGE CROWDS EXPECTED

Hundreds of thousands lined the streets of central Madrid to witness the first visit to Spain by a pope since 2011.

Some waved Vatican and Spanish flags or held up babies to be blessed as Leo toured in an open-air popemobile from which he was seen again doing the "6-7" hand gesture popular among young people.

A 2025 survey by Fundación SM found there has been a surge in interest in Catholicism by young people in Spain, with 28.8 percent declaring themselves practicing Catholics in 2025 compared to 17.6 percent in 2020.

"When I see the pope doing the '6-7', it feels familiar. I think there will be more and more Catholics because of him," said Perla Garcia, 15, as she waited for Leo to attend a vigil for young people.

In the afternoon, Leo visited a homeless shelter where he heard the stories of migrants who had been helped to settle when they first arrived in Madrid.

Pope Leo XIV signs a guest book during his apostolic journey, in Madrid, Spain, June 6, 2026. Vatican Media/­Handout via REUTERS

In sharp contrast to many leading Western powers, not least Trump's United States, Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez's government has opened a mass amnesty programme, allowing an estimated 500,000 immigrants to apply for legal status.

Khadry, a migrant from Senegal who gave the pope a replica of his Spanish residency card, described feeling lost and alone when he first arrived in Spain.

"I had left everything behind and didn't know where to start. Today I have a job, I've sorted out my immigration status, and I want to support others who arrive here just as I did," he said.

COMPETING WITH BAD BUNNY

The pope's visit coincides with 10 days of concerts by Puerto Rican singer Bad Bunny, and local church officials have indicated a meeting between the two is possible, but not confirmed, while the pope is in Madrid.

Bad Bunny will perform on Saturday at football club Atletico Madrid's Metropolitano stadium. The pope will meet young people in the square outside the Santiago Bernabéu stadium, home to bitter rival Real Madrid.

"In the face of the emptiness of indifference and compliance, before the violence of war and lies, you must be the sparks of a new humanity," he told the gathering.

Leo joked on his flight from Rome that he was competing with Bad Bunny for young people's attention.

"If they were confronted with the question: do they want to see Bad Bunny or do they want to see the pope, I think many will go to see Bad Bunny," he said, before adding: "But I think there will also be a few here to see the pope."

Leo is scheduled to give more than 20 speeches during his first trip to a European Union country outside Italy, and will be the first pope to address the Spanish parliament.

During his June 6-12 trip, the first US head of the Catholic Church will also inaugurate a new tower in Barcelona's famed Sagrada Familia basilica and will meet survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic clergy, the Vatican said, adding that further details will be provided after the meeting.

Some victims complained they were excluded from the meeting. They called for Leo to listen to them in a "truly inclusive" manner and for reparations to include legal recognition for victims, lifelong psychological care and adequate compensation.

"We don't want a photo with the pope: we want rights and reparations for all the victims," a collective of groups representing victims said in a statement.

A 2023 report by Spain's human rights ombudsman estimated hundreds of thousands of victims of ​clergy abuse there over decades, echoing similar scandals that have shaken the Church internationally.

Source: Reuters/fs

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Subscribe here
Inbox